11.22.2010

One Day - David Nicholls


I try to avoid books about relationships. Let me be more specific; of course every book involves relationships of some kind. I try to avoid those that center on romantic relationships. But every now and then, I read reviews about a book that I just need to read. One Day was one of those books. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite books are those that examine love and it's complications, misconceptions and inevitable disappointments. But, I think about these ideas more often than not in real life, I'd rather not dwell on them while reading.

That being said, in my experience, books that I relate to are often the ones that captivate me most. David Nicholl's One Day is no different. He structures his novel in a very unique way; every chapter details the relationship of Emma and Dexter on the same day (July 15th) each year, beginning in 1988 and continuing each year for the next 20 years. A lot can change over a year and with each chapter, Dexter and Emma's relationship becomes more complicated and confused than the previous year, as many relationships do.

This is a book about who you want to be and the person you inevitably become. This is a book about timing and examines the hopes we have and the reality that ensues. Nicholls explores themes of fate and the the power of one moment, or one day, to change everything. The premise and structure may seem trite (cf The Time Traveler's Wife) but I promise you, Nicholls delivers in a unique and fulfilling way.

This is a lovely and bittersweet read that is all at once captivating and honest. It's not life changing, but certainly makes you think about what is and what could be - at least if you are the type succumb to the reverie of what it's like to be young and in love, ambitious and unsure.
Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.
Publisher: Vintage, 2009

11 comments:

  1. I have had this sitting on my shelf for a while, maybe I will give it a go now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book - so glad you enjoyed it as well, and glad to see it keeping up steam in the blogosphere. I like your point that it is a book about who we want to be vs. what we inevitably become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dot, You should!

    Kerry, I wouldn't have read this book had it not been for the few reviews I read, so I'm happy to keep spreading the word. It was well worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one too, but I struggled with Dexter's character. At times I just wanted to smack him. Overall it was really good though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the premise of this - rather original! Glad you liked it - and nice, clear review! "...inevitable disappointments," eh? You sound somewhat jaded... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Avid Reader, I know Dexter really upset me throughout the book. I wanted him to get his stuff together sooner than he did.

    Greg, Thanks! And, aren't we all somewhat jaded?! I hope I'm not the only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a bit hestitant...well, have been as I've only seen his books as movies and wasn't impressed. I know, how could I even say it. But like Nick Hornby, I found his relationships too unrealtistic in an over-the-tope-cheesy-romantic-comedy kind of way (irritating mostly), and that's just not my cup of tea. But I'll trust your review, as I feel our literary taste is very similar. I'm always looking forward to the review of your next book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, I haven't read any Hornby yet. I was saving him for a vacation or something... Anyhow, I don't think One Day was over the top, but I could see it becoming a movie! And thanks for your comment. These things make me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quote! Will definitely try to read this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited to read this one - I've seen so many wonderful reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you liked this one. I read it a while back and much as I wanted to, I didn't love it. However, I completely agree that this was a captivating read, it's one of my most memorable of 2010. I still feel a pang of sadness whenever I see the cover.

    ReplyDelete