There are a ton of book to movie adaptions - hundreds. However, I am going to limit this list to movies that I have seen and books that I have read. I'm tempted to include movies of books I haven't read, but then I couldn't really say for certain if it was a good adaption, only that I enjoyed the movie.
1. Memoirs of a Geisha: The book is fantastic and the movie is right behind it.
2. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Roald Dahl was my favorite author growing up. This movie was spot on.
3. Les Miserables: I read the entire novel in French class then watched the movie - maybe it's because we devoted so much time to studying Hugo's classic that I feel like it belongs on this list, but I don't think the movie nor the book should be missed.
4. A Little Princess: Seriously. Loved the book and may have loved the movie even more. Of course I read the book circa 1995 and fell in love with the movie shortly thereafter.
5. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe: A book and movie that is both heartbreaking but truly touching.
6. Harry Potter Series: Some movies are better than others but overall I feel like they've done a great job with the movies, and we all know the books are gems.
7. Orlando: I find anything written by Woolf to be amazing, and the movie lived up to the book in my opinion.
8. 10 Things I Hate About You (Adaption of The Taming of the Shrew): The Taming of the Shrew is my very favorite Shakespeare play and while the movie 10 Things I Hate About You is loosely based on the work, it's still awesome.
9. Polar Express: A childhood favorite of mine, the movie is great and perfect for Christmas time.
10. The Notebook: Yes I read this book in the 9th grade and cried my little eyes out. Today I still love the movie, but don't know if I could stand the book.
The Witches, Roald Dahl
Jumanji, Van Allsburg
I also want to take this opportunity to list movie adaptions that are set to release in 2011 whose books I loved:
Water for Elephants (Gruen)
One Day (Nicholls)
The Yellow Wallpaper (Perkins Gillman)