11.01.2011

RIP Challenge: Complete


Halloween has come and gone and with that, I read some fantastically dark and suspenseful book for the R.I.P Challenge VI. I particpated in Peril the First: Read four books, any length, that you feel fits my very broad definition of scary. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between. I read five, because I especially love dark books this time of the year:

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2008): Set in a delightfully macabre atmosphere we follow Nobody Owens, Bod for short, a human boy raised by ghosts in a graveyard. Bod is taught all of the things that the dead know and learns how to move around the graveyard just as a ghost does. He is granted freedom of the graveyard, visits the world of the ghouls, and befriends a dead witch who lives on unconsecrated ground.

The Collector by John Fowles (1963): The Collector explores the darkest of human behavior and obsessive love in a unique and compelling psychological thriller. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a novel that examines love, human nature and obsession at it's darkest.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (2011): I've heard people say that if you chose to read one book this year, you should read The Night Circus. Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I will say this is a highly entertaining literary work of magical realism. Morgenstern's descriptions of the night circus go beyond imaginative; they are beautiful portrayals of a mesmerizing world.

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (1952): The Killer Inside Me falls under the roman noir genre, translated as "black novel". Functioning sociopath: check. Cheap woman: check. Unassuming victims: check. The Killer Inside Me is the first person account of a man conflicted between the person he thinks he should be and the killer he actually is. This book is not for the faint of heart.

Surfacing by Margaret Atwood (1972, review coming soon): "Part detective novel, part psychological thriller, Surfacing is the story of a young woman who returns to northern Quebec, to the remote island of her childhood, with her lover and two friends, to investigate the mysterious disappearance of her father." Synopsis from the back of the book.

There it is. I'd have to say my two favorites were The Collector and The Night Circus.

Did you participate in the R.I.P. challenge? What did you read?

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the challenge! I really want to check out The Collector. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great you finished the challenge! I've had Surfacing on my shelf for a while and am really interested in hearing what you thought. Also in agreement about The Night Circus - a little overhyped for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished 7 books for RIP this year. I think We Have Always Lived in the Castle and The Woman in Black were my two favorites. This was such a fun challenge. I couldn't believe how many books on my TBR list fit for this one. I'm definitely adding The Collector to my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on finishing! I had to miss it this year, but RIP remains one of my favourite challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with the challenge! I really want to read The Night Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenna, Congrats! I've been on the road since Friday morning and am just sitting down to type out my completion post. I am really interested in Surfacing now as I was unaware before seeing it on your list. I've had a hard time getting into The Graveyard Book and failed to finish by Halloween. The challenge was certainly fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You've read some amazing books as part of this challenge and I've added The Collector and The Killer Inside Me to my wishlist. I hope I enjoy them as much as you did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good showing! LOVE this challenge and look forward to it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome list! I loved The Graveyard Book, and had never even thought of Atwood as a choice for RIP. Silly me! I'll have to try Surfacing next year, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete