11.09.2011

The Classics Challenge is Back!


I usually participate one or two challenges a year and one of my favorite challenges that debuted last year, The Back to the Classics Challenge, is back again for it's second year! Hosted by Sarah at Sarah Reads Too Much, the Classics Challenge 2012 will be a little different than it was this year. It will run January 1st through December 31st.

Last year I read eight classics in six months for the Classics Challenge, and next year it will be 9 classics over a year. Below are the categories and my tentative selections for each:

Any 19th Century Classic: Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White (1859)*

Any 20th Century Classic: John Steinbeck, East of Eden (1952)

Reread a classic of your choice: Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale (1985)*

A Classic Play: Arthur Miller, The Crucible (1953)

Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction: Daphne du Maurier/ Rebecca (1938)

Classic Romance: Bernhard Schlink, The Reader (1997)
 
Classic Literature in Translation: Elie Wiesel, Night (1960)*

Classic Award Winner: Eudora Welty, The Optimist's Daughter (1973)*

Read a Classic set in a Country that you will not visit during your lifetime: Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)*

I'll probably end up switching on or two titles, but I do own a good handful of these and have been meaning to read them for awhile. I tried my best to work in books that I already own. If you are interested in joining the challenge, you can sign up over at Sarah Reads Too Much.

*I already own these titles

12 comments:

  1. I really must schedule a re-read of The Handmaid's Tale as well. Love that book.

    Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely hope to read more classics in 2012. Sadly, I always say that and it never happens! I suck at challenges, so I doubt I will be joining this one but I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, Brenna! I need to read that Welty, that's a new one for me. Cheers! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooooh Elie Wiesel is the bomb, you'll see. I'll actually have to read a book in french for that category. Garcia Marquez is the bomb also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wiesel is a good choice! Nice list

    ReplyDelete
  6. COOL! I need to inject more classics into my life, and this might be just the ticket. Love the categories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! The Woman in White is great. I also really like One Hundred Years of Solitude. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm so glad you're joining this one. Rebecca is so good and I've been meaning to read Maurice for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic list. Native Son is such a good book, as are the others on your list that I have read. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read your review of The Woman in White. Actually, the whole list! I might try and read a few of these around the time you do so I can join in the discussion as a new reader (Rebecca and Night especially). I am sad to say I won't finish the Classics Challenge this year. So pathetic, but I just chose some titles that I just couldn't devote the time to out of disinterest. I feel like I should've at least finished this year to participate next! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting challenge, mine for 2012 is to work on my TBR shelves and not be distracted by entering challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete