2.01.2012

January Reading


For me, January is usually reserved for reading larger books and the novels I was excited to get on Christmas morning. (And those I bought with the B&N gift cards I recieved.) There is something about the cold weather and early dark nights that makes staying home and reading so enjoyable.

In January I reviewed a short story collection, Love Begins in Winter by Simon van Booy. I actually finished up reading it at the end of December and despite the title that is pretty spot on for the season in which I read it, the collection overall fell short for me. Then I picked up a lovely book by bookstore owner and blogger Michael Popek entitled Forgotten Bookmarks. Similar to his blog where he details the array of treasures he finds in used books, this was a unique and fun read. Then I moved on to something a little a lot heavier, Native Son, which turned out to be AHmazing. I finished this weeks ago and I still find myself thinking about it. If you haven't read this one yet I suggest you add it to your TBR. For real. Following that fantastic classic I hit Q: A Novel, which was not awesome. My sister got it for me for Christmas and I felt aweful that I didn't like it. But I was the one who asked for it in the first place, so I was the only one to blame. But then I picked up the other book she got me, 11/22/63 and fell head over heels obsessed with it. This book is Impressive with a capital I. (review coming soon) I also read The Western Lit Survival Kit, which proved to be a nice refresher of all those classics I studied back in college. I'll be keeping that one around to reference for sure.

Books read this month: 5
Page numbers read this month: 2,165

So there you have it. In February I hope to read another novel for the classics challenge (Native Son was my first) and get started on something for the Smooth Criminals challenge. I bought The Post Man Always Rings Twice a few weeks ago, so I'll probably start with that. I'm also really excited about the book The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, which was released in the US today. I first heard about it when Dog Ear Disks reviewed it, and I just might use what's left of my last B&N gift card from Christmas to pick it up.

image via Pretty Books

11 comments:

  1. I was so underwhelmed by Q -- super disappointing. I haven't read Native Son but need to -- and you've got me pushing it up on my TBR in hopes I can get to it this summer (which is when I tend to do my big reading). Enjoy the Cain novel -- I love classic noir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe man I know was Q ever a disappointment. The premise sounded so promising. Glad to head you liked Postman!

      Delete
  2. "Postman" is a nice little noir. After you read it I suggest giving the movie "Ossesione" a look - Italian film based on the book. Much better IMO then the American "Postman" film (though it is fine, too). Even my wife loved it, and she normally doesn't like my "boy books"/"boy movies".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your review of 11/22/63! And per your suggestion Native Son is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about 70% through the review. It's a tough one because I don't want to give a lot away, but I also want to gush about everything I liked.

      Happy to hear Native Son is now on your TBR!

      Delete
  4. The Snow Child is sitting on my stacks waiting for me. I have a whole buttload of Tournament of Books books to get through, but I think I'll sneak The Snow Child in there somewhere anyway. I read Madame Bovary for A Classics Challenge and will be diving into Vanity Fair for February. Good fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Snow Child!

      Delete
  5. I've got 11/22/63 sitting in my nightstand drawer. I'm really looking forward to it--glad to hear that you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic! I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. You are speeding through books and I'm feeling pathetic. Ha. And can I just mention how excited I am about The Snow Child, even though I know that you'll end up getting it first, and loving it, and I'll be thinking that I should have picked it up sooner. Haha.

    ReplyDelete