2.15.2012

Some questions about reading, answered.

Image via Pretty Books

Red tagged me in this blogger meme and even though I'm not really going to follow all the rules, I wanted to take a minute to answer the questions she tagged to me. With all the talk about book on this blog I don't often take the time to get personal and talk about my life outside of my reading habits. (Ok fine 90% of these questions are about reading, but still!) So, a thanks to Alley at What Red Read for putting together this list of thoughtful questions. Here it goes:

1. What's your favorite bookish movie? (Movie based on a book, movie with literary tendencies, whatever)
Hands down Stranger Than Fiction staring Will Ferril. The movie isn't based on a novel, but the plot revolves around the idea that the main character, Harold Crick, is suddenly at the center of a novel. He can hear his life being narrated out loud and begins a quest to find out if his life is a trageity or a comedy. Tons of bookish fun in this one. Seriously you should watch the trailer here if you haven't seen the movie.

2. How often do you re-read books?

Not as often as I feel that I should. I've been reading a lot about rereading lately, here and there, and I'm really starting to understand its importance. I'm hoping to start incorporating more rereading into my reading diet, but it's tough for me because I think about all the books I haven't even read once yet and I'd like to make time for those too. Maybe I'll save rereading until I'm a little older...

3. What's your favorite reading spot?
In the summer I love to read outside on the patio. In the winter I like to read on my bed.

4. Which season is your favorite?
I enjoy Autumn more than any other season. There is something about the crisp air when the leaves start to fall that elates me. I enjoy putting on a light jacket after a hot winter and enjoying the cool air.

5. What's your profile picture?
Pictured on the right.

6. What's your ideal meal?
I'm a sucker for Mediterranean food. An ideal meal would be falafel, hummus, babaganoush, tabbouleh, roasted vegatables, anything with spinach and feta combined and a big fat side of tzatziki. I'm also an eggplant fanatic so anything with eggplant in it and I'm on it. Also pesto. I'm generally a fan of anything with pesto on it.

7. What's your guilty pleasure TV show, movie, book?
I am the first one to admit that when I do watch tv, it's trashy tv. I keep up with the Kardashians and the real housewives of most cities. I watch True Blood in the summer and reruns of Gilmore Girls year round. I also really like Pawn Stars on the history channel and Storage Wars on A&E.

8. How do you like to spend a rainy day?
Reading of course.

9. Do you have any good Tumblrs to recommend?
Why yes I do! I really enjoy the surge in Ryan Gosling tumblrs over the last year, and I'm a huge fan of Slaughterhouse 90210. I also like PrettyBooks and BookOasis if I'm looking for images of books and reading.

10. If you like to cook (or bake), what's your favorite thing to make?
I'm not a superstar in the kitchen, but if I do find myself there I enjoy making breakfast; spinach feta omelets, rosemary potatoes, eggs florentine, and arugula salads are my favorites.

11. Do you have a big TBR list? Or do you wait until you're done with your current book to buy (or borrow from the library) your next reads?
I keep a running list of books I'd like to buy. I consult it whenever I go book shopping. As far as the books I own that I haven't read, I've probably got about 40. I've been making an effort to buy fewer books and read more of the books I already own. Some weeks I do really well and others not so much. I'm not too worried about it though. I've heard of people who have thousands of unread books on the TBR pile. As long as I never get to that point I'm ok with a short stack of unread books.

Feel free to answer this set of questions on your own blog.

12 comments:

  1. Good answers, Brenna. I'm also a huuuuge fan of Stranger Than Fiction. I show it to my students whenever I can shoehorn a reason. And while my unread TBR is larger than 40 books, it's not in the 1000s. Thank God. I'd crumple up an die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best teacher ever. I would have loved to watch Stranger Than Fiction in class! That's awesome.

      Delete
  2. "AND die." From the pressure, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay I'm glad you played along!! Also yay for trashy TV. I love Pawn Stars (and Hoarders and all those other ridiculous shows).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Hoarders too! Sometimes Intervention as well :)

      Delete
  4. Yay for autumn and reading when it's raining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pawn Stars sucks me in every time and I have NO IDEA why.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Pawn Stars is awesome! That's why!

      Delete
  6. I love Stranger Than Fiction! It's such a wonderful movie. I'm a big fan of Mediterranean food too. I could eat hummus and spanakopita at least once a week and be a happy girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure we could hang out in real life and be friends :)

      Delete
  7. I love Stranger Than Fiction! After I sprained my ankle last November and was extremely cranky about being trapped in my apartment, the only movie I deemed worth watching was Stranger Than Fiction. Also: I love Autumn, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love trashy TV and autumn and Stranger than Fiction.

    ReplyDelete