2.04.2013

January Reads



Me Before You by Jojo Moyes: I was told this one would make me cry uncontrollably. Remarkably enough, I did not. With that said, I did find it to be an incredibly touching story that I won't soon forget. If I had known for about its central theme before I purchased it, I don't think I would have bought it. But I'm really happy I did. 

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan: As a big fan of Sloan's short story that inspired this novel, I have to say the book was a bit of a let down. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt removed from the story and the characters seemed rather flat. But it does get extra points for a glow in the dark book jacket. 

Attachments by Rainbow Rowel: I wouldn't have picked this one up on my own, but after reading how much Laura and Alice and Alley liked it, I gave it a go. This one was fun to read and had me laughing out loud a lot. A perfectly light and clever read.

Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon: I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. I'll just tell you that after I watched The Usual Suspects for the first time I wanted to start the movie over immediately upon finishing it to see all the things I missed after knowing the ending. This book is the literary version of that feeling. 

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach: Mary Roach is really good at writing about science in a way that makes it accessible and really fun to read about. This one will tell you everything you ever wanted to know, and some things you prefer not to know, about humans in space. I didn't find it to be as interesting as Stiff, but I've always been more intrigued by dead people than space.

18 comments:

  1. You had a good reading month. I liked Await Your Reply - different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Packing for Mars! I haven't read Stiff, though, or Bonk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really interested in BONK. I also know she's got a new one coming out in April called GULP that sounds promising.

      Delete
  3. Brenna! Great to see a post from you! You read so much. Ok, I checked out Await Your Reply ages ago but never got around to it. Now that you compare it to The Usual Suspects, Justin's all time favorite movie, I vow to complete both!

    I agree with your thoughts on Mr. Penumbra's. It was cute, but the ending really killed it. And the characters were definitely flat.

    Hope you're well! I miss all the group chats on Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I told you I wouldn't disappear completely. Await Your Reply is very different - somewhat slow in parts but it all comes together in a way I could have never guessed. That's why I compared it to The Usual Suspects.

      Too bad about Mr. Penumbra - I though it would be a new favorite of mine!

      I hope all is well with you too. :)

      Delete
  4. Aww I'm glad we convinced you to try Attachments AND that you enjoyed it.

    I'm sorry about Penumbra being a let down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really liked that one. I wouldn't have read it if it weren't for you guys.

      Delete
  5. Me Before You is the next pick for my book club. I'm going in knowing very little, and that might prove to be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will prove to be a good thing! That's why I didn't expand upon it too much here. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Like you, I didn't cry even though EVERYONE had told me I would; quite enjoyed it and I thought it handled the central topic tenderly and carefully but still with courage.

      Delete
  6. You're back, which makes me happy. I like the reviewlettes. I really want to read a Chaon book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice month :) I'd really like to read Penumbra but I'm waiting for the hype to die down in the hopes that my expectations won't be too high, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaaaaaay, I'm so glad you liked Attachments! And that we convinced you to read it! I think that's basically the biggest perk of book blogging, tbh, reading AWESOME books that you would never have heard of on your own. E.g. Ready Player One! Which I reviewed today! Weirdly... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen "Me Before You" around a lot lately and I'm very intrigued! I still don't know what it's about and I think I might keep it that way before I Read it. I also really enjoyed "Attachments." I've passed my copy around my office and everyone has loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really want to read Me Before You. I love the premise, and that cover is so simple yet so eye catching for sure. Also, I want to read Penumbra! I've been hearing nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had very similar feelings about Me Before You (though, I definitely cried) and Mr. Penumbra's. While I really liked Me Befoer You, I almost felt a little taken advantage of...like Moyes wanted it to be the book that would elicit sob stories more than she cared about developing the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attachments was such a fun book! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I read it on Alley's recommendation too.

    ReplyDelete