3.12.2013

Recent Reads


The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan: This book can be summed up in one passage: "It was not the sea that was cruel, but the people." The novel was entertaining enough, but it was on the predictable side and didn't offer anything I haven't read before.  If I could go back and read it again, I wouldn't.

My Ideal Bookshelf by Thessaly La Force (art by Jane Mount): I found this one at Half Price Books and scooped it up immediately. It was so much fun to read about the favorite books of Dave Eggers, Judd Apatow, and Patti Smith, among others; the books that shaped them and those that helped them grow and rethink the world around them. Best of all, it got me thinking about my own ideal bookshelf. 


A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole: I didn't know much about this novel before I picked it up, with the exception of the incredible story behind its publication. Turns out, I was in for quite the treat. Ignatius J. Reilly is obnoxious and crude and utterly hilarious. This book had be laughing out loud - a lot. Fortuna was on my side when a friend gifted me this novel a few months back. I am also traveling to New Orleans in May and I'm so happy to have read this before my trip.


Vaclav and Lena
by Haley Tanner: This book kept popping up on "Favorite Love Story" lists around Valentine's Day and I'm so glad it fell on my radar. This is a sweet, charming love story about two Russian children who meet in ESL class and are forever connected. Tanner writers in simple language and a fresh voice; you could probably finish this one in a day if you wanted to.

18 comments:

  1. So glad you loved A Confederacy of Dunces! I've been meaning to reread it for years but just haven't yet.
    Is Vaclav and Lena YA? For some reason I thought it was, but I do remember you mentioning a while back and then totally forgot about it. It sounds really sweet so I'll have to make a point to get to it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaclav and Lena is not YA, though a lot of it is told from the POV of children and young adults, so it could easily cross into that genre. I do you hope you get to it!

      Delete
  2. My Ideal Bookshelf is on its way to me right now. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  3. A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my all-time favorite books - I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much :) Its definitely a laugh out loud kind of book. I should really re-read it again and get caught up in all of Ignatius' dramas.

    Thanks for the honest review of The Lifeboat - looks that is one book I am definitely going to skip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I didn't think I'd like A Confederacy of Dunces as much as I did! It really is a great book.

      I should also mention that I believe I'm in the minority when it comes to my opinion of The Lifeboat. I know a lot of people really liked it.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about The Lifeboat. I was expecting to be wowed, but it was underwhelming. It's tough when books are just so-so because you know you could have spent your time reading something awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the same feeling about so-so books. This one had such an interesting premise so I thought it would be worth while!

      Delete
  5. I felt very ho-hum about The Lifeboat, too. I was hoping for more, it had such a good premise.

    I really, really need to read Vaclav and Lena. I see it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should I definitely recommend Vaclav and Lena!

      Delete
  6. The Ideal Bookshelf is a beautiful book. Every time I go to the bookstore I pick it up and leaf through it. I think I'm going to request it from the library right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her art is lovely and I really liked reading about famous people's favorite books.

      Delete
  7. I'd really like to get to My Ideal Bookshelf. I do enjoy a good book about books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I jealous you found My Ideal Bookshelf at Half Priced Books! I really want to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I really lucked out with that one!

      Delete
  9. Would you believe that I found My Ideal Bookshelf for ONE DOLLAR at the thrift store last month? Granted, all books were a dollar, but still! I was over the moon. Of course, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I will! And I'm glad to hear it's as good as I've been hoping it will be.

    I like your short reviews - straight and to the point! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's a steal! Lucky you.

      Thank you :)

      Delete