5.01.2011

Reading in Review: April


Books read: 7

Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola (1867)
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (1999)
How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely (2009)

Favorite April read: Norwegian Wood

Authors of color read: 42%

Non-fiction read: 0%

Non-American authors read: 57%

Books read that are older than me: 28%

Compared to last month I did a much better job incorporating non-American authors into my reading diet. I'm going to try and keep this trend up the best I can. (I made a goal last month to keep this number over 50% - let's see if I can do the same for May.) I had a slow start to the month, and then I participated in Dewey's 24-hour read-a-thon and got right back on the horse. I also completed two more books for the Back to the Classics Challenge, which leaves me with three to go.

I just finished Steve Hely's How I Became a Famous Novelist this morning and my review will be up by tomorrow. I just want to say if Norwegian Wood had not been so amazing, Hely's novel would have been my favorite of the month.

photo via weheartit.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 24 hour read-a-thon I don't think that I can do that.But! I read all kinds of books.If the author is from another country ,and there books are in english I get excited to read what's different from the books I usually read.Great blog!
    http://treasuredspotbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norwegian Wood is high on my TBR list. My reading ambitions for May are huge, but I really want to get to Norwegian Wood this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I should read a lot more books written by people that are not British. Blogging has helped me with that as I'm finding out about loads of books I hadn't even heard of before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. F.a.Ellis, Thanks! It was my first read-a-thon and I didn't expect to read as much as I did.

    bibliophiliac, Norwegian Wood is great I think you'll like it.

    Tiny Library, I feel the same way. I've read many books I wouldn't have picked up on my own thanks to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on breaking 50% for your non-American authors! I definitely have Norwegian Wood on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *rubbing hands and chuckling in pride*

    I'm very glad you liked Norwegian Wood all that much. You GOT the vibe. I really feel like watching the movie now.

    Good job on the seven novels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red, Thanks! It was tougher than I thought. I'm also excited you have NW on your TBR.

    Ben, Yeah you were spot on when you told me I'd love it. I am also desperate to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Murakami was your fave? I've yet to read him. I'll make this one my first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your stats. I also want to break out of reading mostly authors who are American.

    ReplyDelete