12.04.2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrorws

I know I'm in the minority with my sentiments on this book, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure if it's because I was expecting too much after reading many rave reviews, or because it just didn't work. I think it's a mix of both. The novel takes place after WWII and details how the residents of Guernsey Island dealt with the German occupation. They eventually formed what they called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The novel is written in a series of letters and documents between the residents of Guernsey and a journalist in London.

For me, the epistolary format seemed contrived and the vivacious tone wasn't realistic. As far as WWII novels go, the characters were quite upbeat and cheery compared to most. Overall, I found the novel flat. If I didn't have such high expectations for this novel, I may have liked it better. I was expecting something profound and was left with a novel that would have worked better as a light vacation read.

Publisher: Dial Press, 2008

12 comments:

  1. Aw sad. I really enjoyed this one. I totally know what you mean though...you get bombarded with high ratings and reviews about a book and you read it expecting something INCREDIBLE and then it's just a good read. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer. I really liked it but I agree with you, some books you have high expectations for and they just dont live up. THat is how I feel about The Girl with the dragon tattoo. It was OK but not a favorite and I will not be reading the next two,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder when I write a rave review. One of my favorite things is when I find a book I know nothing about it and fall in love with it. I really liked this book, I'm sorry it wasn't a great read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I know that was definitely the case with this one.

    Booksnob, Yep. And I probably won't read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because of that.

    L.L., Me too! I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one a lot. Sorry it was not a hit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it before I heard all the buzz about it, and I'm glad I did...I enjoyed it but it wasn't as amazing to me as it seemed to be to other people. It seems like whenever I have high expectations for something I'm let down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book ages ago knowing absolutely nothing and I loved it1 The hype may have been a factor. The book might be a tad saccharine but I sort of felt that it worked...I am sorry you didn't like it that much! It is extremely annoying when you go into a book with all these expectations and it turns out to be something of a dud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

    Melody, It seems like that's the best way to discover books sometimes - on your own before the hype. I almost bought The Corrections today but decided against it, just for that reason.

    Vaishnavi, A dud it was. But I'm ok with that. They can't all be life-changing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shame! I think you were disappointed only because you were expecting something profound. I read and reviewed Oct 2009 and had to keep reminding myself it was fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just followed you on Twitter, be great if you are interested in following me back Brenna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LindyLouMac, I'm happy you liked it, and thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete