12.15.2010

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood


I've been on a bit of a Margaret Atwood kick lately. After each handful of books I read by other authors, I start craving some Margaret Atwood. She always delivers with a unique and engrossing novel. For every Atwood novel I've read this year, I feel like I've gotten to know a new side of the author.

The Year of the Flood is Atwood's followup to Oryx and Crake, which I loved. Like Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood takes place in a world that is nothing like the one we know, but is so realistic and deeply complex that you can't help but be sucked into it. We are brought back to the same world Atwood portrayed in Oryx and Crake, but offered a refreshingly new perspective. I don't think I can explain this world that would make much sense, but it includes The Gardeners as led by Adam One, Painballers who are excruciatingly punished for their bad behavior, the corrupt and tyrannical CorpSeCorps, and Ren and Toby, two women who have survived the "waterless flood" and are the alternating narrators of the novel. While Oryx and Crake focused more on why the world became a disease ridden planet and its players, The Year of the Flood examines the everyday life of the humans trying to survive in this world.

I read Oryx and Crake back in August and while that wasn't too long ago, the story wasn't fresh in my head. I found myself wishing I had read it right before The Year of the Flood because at first I felt a little lost. I kept questioning my reading comprehension and finally just went with it. About half-way through the novel different elements started to piece together and the story became quite compelling.

They Year of the Flood speaks to the all-to-familiar complications of modern day technology, genetic engineering, consumerism and authoritarian corporations. In an author's note in the back of the book, Atwood writes, "The Year of the Flood is fiction, but the general tenancies and many of the details are alarmingly close to fact." For me, this is one of the reasons this story, and the dystopians Margaret Atwood creates, are so mind-blowing. These stories seem so far removed from today's world at a glance, but upon further reflection they could very well turn into our reality.

Publisher: Bloomsbury, 2009

A note on this edition: I found this UK edition at Half Price Books and loved the cover. Lately I have been thinking I like UK cover art more than it's US counterpart. Or, as Jackie from FarmLaneBooks suggested, maybe we just want what we can't have.

18 comments:

  1. I love Margaret Atwood, and haven't read her in quite some time. The Blind Assassin is on my list for the coming year.... but I think I'll add these two titles to my want-to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several Atwoods on my TBR list..not sure where to start now...I like to read books that go together right behind one another for the reasons you described...it is difficult at best to keep details of related books straight when you read so many other books in the middle. Maybe someone should organize a Margaret Atwood challenge or ReadAlong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely review! I am seriously interested in Margaret Atwood now. I am planning to start with The Handmaid's Tale...would that be a good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I'm hoping to read the Blind Assassin this year as well.

    Peppermint, A Margaret Atwood Challenge is a great idea!

    Vaishnavi, The Handmaid's Tale would be a great choice to start with. That was my first Atwood and still one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to read this, I loved Oryx & crake and I have actually brought this one but for whatever reason I never seem to get around to it. I'l regret that I didnt read it sooner when I do eventually read it I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this in the back of my mind for a while. I'm like Jessica - when I do eventually get to it, I'll be disappointed at letting it sit for so long. Oh well. Such is the reading life.

    And I, too, like UK cover art. It is sometimes a product of what I can't have, and sometimes pure aesthetics. Plus, they have more interesting trim sizes, esp. for paperbacks - (although that's probably the result of nothing more than wanting what I don't usually have).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might actually take part in an Atwood challenge/read-a-long (but don't quote me on that). I've only ever read Handmaid's Tale but this and the Oryx & Crake sound so interesting I think I'll need to check them out. Your enthusiasm for her has gotten to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had Atwood on my list of authors to read forever now and I just never know where to start. Looking forward to you reading 'The Blind Assassin' since I think that is where I might begin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica, I felt the same way. I wished I had read it sooner.

    Kerry, You are right about the trim sizes as well. I prefer the UK sizes to US. Sesh!

    Red, I'm glad! I would host a challenge myself, but I'm a little reluctant. Maybe I can convince someone else to do it.

    Padfoot, The Blind Assassin would probably be a good place to start. That or the Handmaid's Tale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to take part in an Atwood read-a-long or challenge, too.I have The Year of the Flood on my shelf but have not yet read Oryx and Crake or any other book by Atwood. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, man. I loved this one even more than Oryx and Crake! So fantastic... I know there were quite a few times when I spoke out loud in frustration and/or dawning. I can't wait to see what happens in the third book! It's all just so perfectly put together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm yet to read any Margaret Atwood, but a copy of The Blind Assassin is on my TBR shelf. I've heard such good things about her work, I really must get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sabrina, Ok we need to find someone to do a Margaret Atwood challenge. Also, I think the two books are interchangeable. They work together, but I don't think it matters which you read first.

    historyofshe, I know I can't wait for the third either. I wonder when it's going to come out?

    mummazappa, I think The Blind Assassin will be my next Atwood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Blind Assassin is one of my favorite books! And love Atwood--I know she's overrated among feminists, but whatever. She's awesome.

    Margaret Atwood challenge sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I listened to this book on audio-CD and enjoyed it quite a bit. I found the the singing of the Adam1 hymns to be quite humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boyfriend purchased the hardcover edition of this when it came out last year for Christmas. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. I read Oryx and Crake over 5 years ago; so I probably need to reread it and then tackle TYOTF. I remember walking away from Oryx and Crake feeling a little disoriented and disgusted. But I loved it. I really like the UK cover, but I feel the US art was just as appealing. Great review-- I've got to get back into the dystopian mood.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the UK cover for this book so our theory doesn't work for this one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely agree with you that it would have been better to read Oryx and Crake again before i read the year of the Flood. It would have made a little more sense - or at least - I would have had a better idea who some of the characters were and how they all fit together.

    I read Oryx and Crake when it was first published so it had been years between reading it and The Year of the Flood and I had forgotten a lot about O&C by then.

    I recommend people re-read O&C before they read The Year of the Flood.

    ReplyDelete