8.31.2011

R.I.P Challenge VI


Woohoo! The R.I.P challenge has arrived! This is my favorite challenge of the whole year, probably because autumn is my favorite season and Halloween is my favorite holiday. Anyhow, it begins September 1st and ends October 31st. To participate, you can read books that fall in the genre of: mystery, suspense, thriller, dark fantasy, Gothic, horror and supernatural. As always, there are multiple perils. I am going to participate in Peril the First:

Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (my very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be Stephen King or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming or Edgar Allan Poe…or anyone in between.

If you are interested in checking out what I read for the challenge last year, you can find that here. Tentative titles for this year include:
  • Untouchable by Scott O'Connor
  • The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson
  • In the Woods by Tana French
  • Pussy, King of the Pirates by Kathy Acker
  • I'm Not Scared by Niccolo Ammaniti
  • Night Waking by Sarah Moss
  • The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte
  • American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
  • The Prince of the Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • The Stranger by Albert Camus
  • The Collector by John Fowles
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen

15 comments:

  1. Ooh, I enjoyed both The Club Dumas and The Graveyard book. Looks like you have a lot of great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm participating too! My post on it is going up tomorrow. I can't wait to dig into some creepy books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pussy, King of the Pirates? What the...?

    The Club Dumas was an, um, interesting novel. I'm not sure I understood it. Looking forward to your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you are joining in again. I'm with you on loving autumn and loving Halloween. I thought I loved it as a kid but Halloween has been so much more enjoyable as an adult.

    Your list looks great, especially seeing The Graveyard Book on there. I *heart* that book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun challenge, huh?! Love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this challenge! Will get a post together soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading In the Woods too! I love this challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great books on your list! Enjoy In the Woods . . . I love Tana French!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Graveyard Book is so good! I am considering rereading it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on these books. I'm really interested in The Collector. I saw the movie when I was little, and it was very creepy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun challenge! I've never heard of it before...might just have to give it a try myself! I've always wanted to read American Psycho (I've never even seen the movie!) and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on The Prince of the Mist. Can't go wrong with Zafon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just decided to do this too. Everyone seems so psyched about the challenge, I want to see what is so good about it. (Plus, I want to forget about summer too - it can't turn into fall soon enough.) I may try reading the Tana French too, that one's been on my radar for way too long now. And like Greg, I'd like to know what that "pussy, king of the pirates" one is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with American Psycho! I tried it several years ago and actually couldn't finish it, it's just that nerve-wracking. I'd never thought of it before in an RIP context but it definitely fits. I'll look forward to your review.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm participating, too! I love this challenge! Can't wait to dive into some spooky reads :) What are you going to be reading for this one? I'm thinking I want one or two of those classics, like The Woman in White or something like that. Its gonna be a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete