6.26.2011

Back to the Classics Challenge Complete!


Hosted by Sarah from Sarah Reads Too Much, the Back to the Classics Challenge began in January and ends June 30th. (Sarah later pushing the end date back to December 31st, but I wanted to try and stick to the original date.)

8 goals to complete:

1. A banned book
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence (1928)

2. A book with a wartime setting (any war)
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)

3. A Pulitzer Prize (fiction) winner or runner up
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)

4. A Children's/Young Adult Classic
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868)

5. 19th century classic
Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola (1867)

6. 20th century classic
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder (1927)

7. A book you think should be considered a 21st century classic
Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides (2002)

8. Re-read a book from your high school/college classes
Passing by Nella Larson (1929)
*review coming soon

Done, done and done! Cheers to a summer of reading whatever my little heart desires.

image via Booklover

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! There are a number of books on that list I haven't heard of, but probably should go check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of books makes me happy! It sound like you've read a good variety of classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I think you are the first to finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! I'm still working on my wartime setting book. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on completing this challenge! And making it through Little Women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You've read some good books there - what was your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red, Oh thanks that was a rough ong :)

    Tiny Library, My very favorite was Middlesex, followed closely by Lady Chatterley's Lover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow great job. I've read 1,3,4 and 7, and liked them all (especially 7)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the books you picked. I still need to read Lady Chatterly's Lover. I read Madame Bovary at the end of last year and I wanted to wait awhile before reading Lady. I was worried the premise of both was a bit too close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! And I totally agree with your Middlesex expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! All great picks. For the most part, anyway. I sadly won't finish for quite sometime. Sad face. Way to go! Do you know how many others finished or will finish by the original date?

    ReplyDelete