5.31.2010

I've Dreamt In My Life Dreams

Reading now: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
'Nelly, do you ever dream queer dreams?' she said suddenly, after some minutes' reflection. 
'Yes, now and then,' I answered.
'And so do I. I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas: they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the color of my mind.
I've been meaning to read this book for awhile - one of the classics that never popped up in my high school or college reading lists - and I'm very happy I have finally gotten to it. I'm enjoying it very much and Catherline is quickly becoming one of my favorite literary characters. For some reason I always connect with the free-spirited, spoiled women (Scarlett Ohara, Holly Golightly). Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. Cathy is up there with Scarlett O'Hara without hesitation! Wuthering Heights inhabits some of my favorite literary characters. You can't walk away without Heathcliff staying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These characters are brilliant! I'm almost glad I waited this long to read it because I'm having such a great time with it.

    ReplyDelete