2.07.2011

A Human Library


"Always innovative the Toronto Public Library lets us check out humans as well as books"

"The idea of a Human Library first emerged in Copenhagen about a decade ago, as a way to break down prejudice by bringing people of different backgrounds together for one-on-one conversation. The Toronto Public Library held its first Human Library event at five branches on Nov. 6, attracting more than 200 users who checked out the likes of a police officer, a comedian, a sex-worker-turned-club-owner, a model and a survivor of cancer, homelessness and poverty. They're all volunteers whose lives would make good reading, but even better one-on-one chatting. The library is considering make the program long-term, so a supply of human books will be regularly available to readers."

14 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. Personally I would feel awkward doing something like that, but it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I would feel a bit awkward myself but I think I would get over it quickly. I really like the idea of a human library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that they were doing this somewhere in the UK too. I think it is a fantastic idea and I hope it spreads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, It really is.

    Farmlane, I hope it does. I'd like to see it in the US as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is... AMAZING!!!!!! How great would it be if some authors signed up! You could get insight into their heads and their works. This is now on the top of my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Padfoot and Prongs, I think I'd like to talk to someone who is familiar with something I know nothing about - like a former homeless person or sex-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is awesome! This also might help to break down stigmas of different types of people. I wish I was in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. eatthebooks, It certainly would - which is why I really like the idea of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a pretty nifty idea! I'd probably check it out but I don't know if it would be something I would be interested in on a regular basis. Unless, there was an Astronomer, or physicist, or a paleontologist, or.... you know what? I'd probably do it every chance I had actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea, I would love to go along and just talk to people willing to share themselves with others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a wonderful idea. I hope more places will try something like this out.

    ReplyDelete