7.22.2010

Eyes of a Blue Dog by Gabriel Garcia Marquez



Earlier this week I stumbled across Classic Short Stories - a site that offers short stories (for free) written by classic authors. Since I recently read Marquez for the first time I thought I would start out with his short story "Eyes of a Blue Dog".

This is a really interesting read that becomes even more complex upon reflexion - a skill that Marquez has proved with everything else of his I've read. The entire story takes place in the narrator's dream. Marquez writes the story with a sleepy eloquence that portrays a dream-like atmosphere for the reader, making it seem as if you are in the dream yourself.
"In some city in the world, on all the walls, those words have to appear in writing: 'Eyes of a blue dog'. If I remember them tomorrow I could find you."
"Eyes of a Blue Dog" explores the intricacies of the unconscious mind in relation to the conscious mind and how these unconscious desires manifest themselves in everyday life. It's a beautifully written story that I recommend to anyone who has 15 minutes to spare.

You can read it for free in it's entirety here. If you do let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. I know I read this short story years and years ago, but reading your review, nothing sounded familiar. So thanks for the link - I think I'll read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely worth a reread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story can leave us a good lesson about in our everyday living.. pet memorial jewelry

    ReplyDelete