9.06.2011

Books I Would Like for My Birthday


My birthday is one week from today and I created a small wishlist of books that I'd love to get for my birthday. Even if it's just one or two, I'd still be happy :)

1. The Illumination by Kevin Brockmeier: This novel has been praised for it's use of artistry and imagination and I've wanted to read it since March.

2. Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine: A look at the "delusions" concerning gender differences.

3. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen: I've had this one on my TBR since last year and I still haven't found it. I think it would be great for the RIP challenge.

4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This one actually comes out on my birthday so most likely I'll end up buying it afterwards, but I can't help but put it on this list.

5. In The Garden of Beasts by Eric Larson: Narrative non-fiction that takes place during WWII - I've heard many great things about this book.

6. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach: Everyone is talking about this debut novel and I'm interested to check it out.

7. The Submission by Amy Waldman: "Ten years after 9/11, a dazzling, kaleidoscopic novel reimagines it's aftermath ."

8. I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive by Steve Earle: I've heard this isn't for the faint of heart, but if you can pull through it, it's worth it.

9. Windows on the World by Frederic Beigbeder: I've had this book on my radar for awhile and I think it would be an eye-opening read in light of the 10 year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

10. His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman: I have heard marvelous things about this trilogy from many book bloggers so I'm thinking it's a must-read.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you get quite a few of these books (or all of them!) for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get your birthday book wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read WINDOWS...this is really a weird book. Not very wrenching or emotional. It's worth a try though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw The Graveyard Book everywhere at Powell's but didn't get it... now I'm kicking myself in the pants. Hope you get all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your style- hopefully your family and friends will take note! As if I have any sway over them, I so highly recommend His Dark Materials trilogy because omg they're AMAZE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good choices. I almost bought the Graveyard Book recently. I wish I had. I also forgot my book list when I went to Powells, otherwise I would have bought The Submission.

    Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the Night Circus and His Dark Materials! Hope you get them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a lovely Birthday Brenna and I hope you get a title or two from the list. Sadly I do not have copies of any of them or I would be sending something your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just have to tell you, I finished The Night Circus ARC a few minutes ago, and it was breathtaking. I hugged and kissed the book (ridiculous but totally necessary).

    Also, The Graveyard Book is FABULOUS!

    A very happy birthday -- early!

    ReplyDelete