9.08.2011

New Goods

I swung by the Half Price Books Labor Day Sale on Monday and picked up a few titles that will help satisfy some fall reading.


The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson (1952): "An underground classic since its publication, The Killer Inside Me is the book that made Jim Thompson's name synonymous with the roman noir."

We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families by Philip Gourevitch(1998): "Philip Gourevitch's haunting work is an anatomy of the war in Rwanda, a vivid history of the tragedy's background, and an unforgettable account of its aftermath. One of the most acclaimed books of the year, this account will endure as a chilling document of our time."

The Collector by John Fowles (1963): "Hailed as the first modern psychological thriller. The Collector is the internationally bestselling novel that captured John Fowles into the front rank of contemporary novelist. This tale of obsessive love- the story of a lonely clerk who collects butterflies and of the beautiful young art student who is his ultimate quarry- remains unparalleled in it's power to startle and mesmerize."

Total: $12.99

14 comments:

  1. KILLER INSIDE ME!

    FUCKIN' A!

    Can't wait to see what you think about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Collector was a terrific, yet creepy read...enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap!! I forgot about the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Killer Inside Me! It's so creepy and fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge John Fowles fan and have never read that one. Looking forward to seeing what you think of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh nice!

    I've got The Collector on my TBR - will be good to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have "We wish to inform..." on my shelf at home. I need to get to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Gourevithc book is excellent! I read that one in college for a political anthropology class I took and I never forgot that book or Gourevitch's writing for that matter. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Gourevith book is one I have wanted to read for a long time. Shake Hands With The Devil by Romeo Dallaire is excellent too, he was the UN commander in Rwanda at the time of the genocide.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Collector is one of my favourite books of all time. The protagonist is psychotic, violent, paranoid....and you cant help but grow to like him. Superb.

    http://booksandotherthingsilike.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Half Price Books! I was there for the sale, too. I'm pretty sure I never walk out of that place without at least one book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The Collector" is a very engaging read, and more accessible than "The French Lieutenant's Woman", another of John Fowles's books.
    Looking forward to the review.

    ReplyDelete