9.07.2011

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown


Sisters can be great. I've got one and she's one of my favorite people; generous, understanding and exceedingly caring. One of the reasons I picked up The Weird Sisters is because I'm always interested in further understanding the special relationship that exists between sisters. Then I read about all the Shakespeare references the novel included and I didn't think I would be disappointed. Unfortunately, I was wrong. This book didn't do it for me, for a few reasons. Most importantly, I wasn't invested or engaged. Almost every time I picked up the book, it was with the intention to finish it, not to enjoy it. I felt disconnected from the characters and their struggles. I thought there would be more Shakespearean allusions, but it seemed Brown just threw in quotes that worked within the story line, but didn't add anything to it. I suppose the plot was decent enough since I finished the book instead of abandoning it completely, but, to be honest I wasn't even happy I finished it because the ending wrapped up much too neatly for my taste.

Secondly, the first person plural point of view just did not work. I'm not against it if done correctly (ie Then We Came to the End) but there were too many instances where Brown's sentences made me cringe. It's hard to join the collective "we" with an individual third person who also belongs in the first person plural in a way that works. There were many instances when the voice felt odd and it threw off the consistency and overall flow of the novel. Overall, a disappointing read. I'd skip it.

Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books, 2011

11 comments:

  1. This one did not work for me either (audio version). I was really disappointed as there had been so much hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one that was SO hyped, I just didn't want to read it. That happens for me, and sometimes I'll pick it up much later. But yeah, not for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this one on my list after reading about it in the NY times. Maybe I should but it on my TNBR. (to not be read...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Too bad too because it sounds like such a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you Brenna, the title intrigued me, but having read your review, I will be giving it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same experience. I wasn't really invested in anything, and the POV just wasn't done well. I was hoping for something fun, but was too hung up on all the structural issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't interested in reading this till I read someone else's review that went into detail on the narrative voice. But even now, I can't say I'm INTERESTED in the book as much as I'm curious, because I can't imagine how Brown pulls off first-person plural for a full novel. It can work in short stories, but for longer than that...? I can see it getting irritating and, as you write, disrupting the flow of the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad this one didn't work. It sounds like an interesting idea, especially the Shakespeare references. I think I'll just avoid this title...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bummer. I won a copy of this in a giveaway and it sounded so good. Like you, I have a sister and love the Shakespeare references. Maybe I'll wait awhile and read it with low expectations since I already own it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so bummed you didn't like it! The POV took me a little while to get into, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say I usually feel an overwhelming sense of relief when people give books a negative review and say why. You're not the only one to say this about this book. Thank you for warning me not to waste my time when other, great books await! :)

    ReplyDelete