1.17.2011

Let The Great World Spin: First Impressions


I am currently about half-way though Colum McCann's Let The Great World Spin and I'm blown away. First of all, the book is nothing what I expected it to be. I thought it was a fictional take of the true story of the French acrobat who walked across the gap between the twin towers on a tightrope in 1974. While the story includes this tightrope walker, I would hardly call him a major character. Rather, his story is what seems to be the connecting thread joining McCann's other characters together. Secondly, this novel is composed of so many truths that relate to me that I can't help but love every word. It's full of so many layers I am already planning to reread it.

In short, I am finding Let The Great World Spin to be altogether brilliant and I don't want it to end. I'm going to savor this one.

13 comments:

  1. The documentary, Man on Wire, is one of the more chilling things I've ever watched and it's all about Philippe Petit's tight rope walk between the Towers. Petit is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenneth, I've heard about that documentary but I've never seen it. Now I'm intrigued. Off to Netflix...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quite an interesting read... I'll have to pick it up. Then I'll watch the documentary after finishing the book. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was probably the best book I read last year - just amazing. Yes, savor it. And Ken's right, the doc is fantastic. Petit is quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the suggestion to watch Man on Wire. I saw it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago, and as I have Let The Great World Spin coming up as my Feb book club read, it was perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, Good plan. I'm hoping to watch the documentary upon completion as well.

    Greg, I never knew about Petit until this book.

    Carin, I'll be sure to watch it!

    Diane, I really love it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard again and again that this could be considered a favorite favorite. I bought it a couple months ago but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I've heard that it's from several perspectives, yet more unique than what you typically come across with novels in that form. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, When you do read it, make sure you're ready to take your time. It's really great but I find that it's taking me awhile to get through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read it this summer and was blown away. I'm planning to re-read it. McCann's other work is great too, namely "This Side of Brightness." Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review, I've been looking forward to reading this one for a while - I've heard nothing but good things about it. As some have mentioned earlier, the documentary is wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book is beautiful and the documentary is mesmerizing. Enjoy both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really must make time to read this one. Soon. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete