1.31.2011

Reading in Review: January


At the end of the year I did a nice little statistical breakdown of everything read in 2010 - then I made some resolutions. Alley at What Red Read inspired me with her monthly reading wrap up to create my own. So below is my January reading breakdown:

Books read: 7
The Painted Veil - W. Somerset Maugham
Lady Chatterley's Lover - D. H. Lawrence
The Night Bookmobile - Audrey Niffenegger
Dreaming of Baghdad - Haida Zangana

Favorite January read: The Painted Veil (1925)

Non-American Authors read: 57%

Non-fiction books read: 14%

Authors of color read: 14%

Books read that are older than me (published before 1985): 57%

My main reading resolutions were to read more worldly authors, more authors of color and more non-fiction. It looks like I'm in good shape for non-American authors, but I need to work on reading more authors of color and more non-fiction.

In non-bookish news, the month of January was a good one. I chopped 11 inches of my hair off and donated it to locks of love. I went ice fishing for the first time (used an auger and all!) and learned how to drive a snowmobile. I also ran 3-5 times a week consistently for the entire month, which makes me feel really good and is something I plan on continuing throughout the year. I'm usually just a spring/summer/fall runner, and I should thank Eat, Run, Read for motivating me back in December with her post Tips for Winter Running. She told me it is never too cold to run outside and after an entire month of running in this Wisconsin winter, I'm going to agree with her.

Oh yeah, I also became a notary. Fun stuff.

9 comments:

  1. Impressive list! How was ice fishing and snowmobiling? Other than cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red, I loved snowmobiling! It was really fun. I'm kind of a sucker for extreme sports - skydiving and all. The ice fishing was interesting but I enjoyed the cold beers and company more than the actual "fishing" part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What ana amazing list - I am so jealous of your great reading. My January reading has been terrible unfortunately. I keep reading books that I can barely bring myself to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am traditionally a spring/summer/fall runner that is trying to do the winter thing. But I live in TN, and my most recent outdoor run was a 60 degree January day, so kudos to you, you crazy Wisconsan! I can't even imagine that kind of cold. I would probably hibernate. Thanks for the heads up on Eat, Run, Read. I've added it to my reader - looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Err. I saw the movie The Painted Veil. And I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you're in a slump :(

    Sara, 60 degrees would be a treat here! It is typically about 20 when I run after work. Glad to hear you added Eat, Run, Read! I enjoy her blog a lot.

    Samantha, I really want to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I think my book club is going to read Lady Chatterly's Lover so thanks for the review.

    And HOORAY for running! I'm glad it's going well and thanks for the link-love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a great month! The Painted Veil is on my list, and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on your January reading!

    ReplyDelete