6.03.2011

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

So this is supposed to be about the how, the when, and the why, and what of reading - about the way that, when reading is going well, one book leads to another and to another, a paper trail of theme and meaning; and how, when it's going badly, when books don't stick or take; when your mood and the mood of the book are fighting like cats, you'd rather do anything but attempt the next paragraph, or reread the last one for the tenth time.
The Polysyllabic Spree is an account of the books Nick Hornby buys and reads over the course of a year. It's made up of a collection of essays he wrote for The Believer in which he chornicles his literary andventures month by month. Even though Nick Hornby reads some serious stuff, he doesn't take it too seriously in this column. He writes about books in a way that makes me:

a. happy I'm an avid reader
b. want to read more books
c. wish he never ended this column

The Polysyllabic Spree is hilarious as well as dignified. He writes about books and the act of reading with such heart and humor. I can't help but think the majority of bibliophiles are quite similar because this book is me; someone who struggles to keep up with their reading appetite, continuously buying books faster than she can read them. This is also Nick Hornby. Nick Hornby and I are the same person (not really at all - he's far more interesting and funny than I'll ever be).
Books are, lets face it, better than everything else. If we played Cultural Fantasy Boxing League, and made books go fifteen rounds in the ring against the best of any other art form had to offer, then books would win pretty much every time... Even if you love movies and music as much as you do books, it's still, in any given four week period, way, way more likey you'll find a great book you haven't read than a great movie you haven't seen, or a great album you haven't heard.
There are so many bookish truths in this collection of essays I could offer you 25 passages that are equal parts awesomeness, but instead I'm just going to tell you to read this book. It's that good. Just be prepared for your TBR list to grow.

Publisher: Believer Books, 2004

18 comments:

  1. I'm so with you. I loved this one. I hadn't even heard of half the books he talked about, but it didn't matter at all. I really need to get around to reading the other two installments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, OTHER TWO INSTALLMENTS?! What?! Best news I've heard all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a Hornby book but I do love books about books, by people who like words and writing. I'm adding to my TBR -- or should I start with a Hornby novel first then this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audra, This was my first Hornby - I've never read any of his fiction. I think this is as good a place to start as any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenna, yes! Two more! And all wonderful! I adore his book essays and wish he'd write more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved his column - I was so sad when he stopped writing it. I'm pretty sure if he hadn't I would have kept my Believer subscription for these few years and have my parents mail new issues to me...ah, well. I have this book somewhere in NJ, I should try finding it when I'm on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read High Fidelity light years ago. All this buzz makes me want to try him again. Thanks Brenna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenna - I love this book! If you want to try some of his fiction, which is wonderful, I'd suggest High Fidelity or Juliet, Naked as good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I'm so happy to hear that! Thanks for confirming.

    Ellen, At least they published it into a book but yeah, I wish he would have kept writing.

    Ben, I want to read some of his fiction now, and get my hands on the two follow ups to this one. And a couple of the books he mentioned in his essays. Like he said, "when reading is going well, one book leads to another and to another, a paper trail of theme and meaning".

    Melissa, Thanks for the recommendations. I never know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one has been on my wishlist for ages, I can't wait to get around to reading it. I love his fiction, and would suggest Long Way Down if you've not already read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news - Nick Hornby is writing his column again in The Believer. (Started again in the May 2010 issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Didn't he make a column comeback? Am I confused and hopefully delusional? I read and liked this one a great deal, too. Wooonderful slump buster, which is why I've held off on the other installments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a Hornby fan, but I haven't read this one yet. Sounds great! There are quite a few books around like this, but not all of them will be as interesting, because of Hornby's way of putting things. Also just found in a bargain bin Speaking with the Angels, which he edited. Short stories.

    And I'd forgotten about that column; thanks for reminding me!

    PS. What do you think of The Unit so far? I have it but haven't yet read it, except for the first couple of chapters...had to put it down for something else, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would make such a great gift for so many people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Nick because of this book. My favorite thing was his list of books bought and the list of books read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds very interesting! I've had High Fidelity on my TBR list for quite some time. I need to give him a try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just browsing the internet to see what others are saying about this book. We picked the same passage to showcase on our blogs! He's hilarious. Have you read any of his other stuff?

    ReplyDelete