10.20.2010

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly


This was a fun read for Halloween. It is dark, but also lighthearted, evoking a Hans Christian Anderson/Brothers Grim tone. We meet Daniel, a young boy who lost his mother. He and his mother shared a love for books. She taught him at a young age the importance of books and storytelling. After his mother passes, Daniel's books begin speaking to him, luring him into a world of crooked fairy tales and evil creatures.

One of the things I liked best about this book was Connolly's dismissal of a typical "happily ever after" theme. Fairy tales are retold in a twisted and bleak manner, offering a new outlook on Rumpelstiltskin, Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood, to name a few. Even the ending rejects the conventional. Ultimately the tone is hopeful, but Connolly doesn't sugar coat anything and instead opts for a darker, cheerless tone, perfect for Halloween.

This is a great book to read when you want a captivating story. It's a true modern fairy tale about transitions and the loss of innocence. I'm tempted to compare it to The Shadow of the Wind, as they are both suspenseful books about books. However if you didn't enjoy The Shadow of the Wind don't write off The Book of Lost Things. I would recommend this book to the true bibliophile, someone who loves to not only read books, but to admire and collect them as well. It's a fun suspense for the book lover, exploring how books shape the world around us and our imagination. It captures the trills, the fears and the triumphs that are held in books.

Publisher: Atria Books, 2006

12 comments:

  1. Nice review! I have heard many good things about this book; it sounds perfect for the kind of reading mood I am in now. Going book shopping this Saturday, will hunt for this one. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! You truly wet my appetite for this book and I will move it up my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vaishnavi, I sought this out when I felt like I was in that sort of reading mood and it was perfect! Let me know if you find it.

    Irena, Good to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brenna, I am so happy my twitter faux pau introduced you to a novel you enjoyed! Connolly certainly knows how to paint a dark and twisted, yet humorous story, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I've seen this book come up a few times (the cover always catches my eye) perhaps I'll finally pick it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I couldn't handle the dark twist on the fairy tales I've grown up with, although I think that there are a lot of elements of this book worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TNBBC, I know me too! I really enjoyed it. Truth be told I was at the bookstore, not even seeking this out, and the cover drew me in. Then I remembered you had recommended it and I gave it a shot! It didn't disappoint!

    Red, I know I love the cover.

    BookQuoter, I could understand that. I thought they were creative and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great, I love the idea of a new perspective on old stories

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you enjoyed this, Brenna. It's one I'd love to revisit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becky, It is really refreshing!

    Nymeth, I've got to tell you I read your review on this book before I began the novel. Your review was fantastic and it was one of the reasons I picked it up as soon as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a good one! I was rather surprised with the ending, but I did really like it. I want to read it again. I do remember that the gnomes were my favorite characters though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. historyofshe, I was suprised at the ending too but I still really liked it. I liked the gnomes but I especially liked the 7 dwarfs!

    ReplyDelete