10.01.2010

Easy to be Around

Reading now: Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
I find the dead easier to be around than the dying. They are not in pain, not afraid of death. There are no awkward silences and conversations that dance around the obvious. They aren't scary. The half hour I spent with my mother as a dead person was easier by far than the many hours I spent with her as a live person dying and in pain. Not that I wished her dead. I'm just saying it's easier. Cadavers, once you get used to them - and you do that quite fast - are surprisingly easy to be around.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the funniest books I've ever read! I hope you're loving it. I read her latest book last month. Also very funny but Stiff was really her very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carin, You are absolutely right. I don't laugh out loud while reading very often, but I've been giggling at least every chapter. Who know that gruesome subject matter could be written in such a humorous way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! What a great passage - I haven't heard of this one before!! I didn't anticipate this to be a funny book, but based on your comments, it sounds like it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee and Book, It truly is!

    ReplyDelete