10.26.2010

Top Ten Scariest Books


In honor of the upcoming holiday, The Broke and The Bookish have featured "Top Ten Scariest Books" for Top Ten Tuesday. Since "scary" is such broad word, below is a list of books that are scary in the traditional sense, but also scary is a disturbing or suspenseful way (in no particular order). I should also point out I don't typically read mystery/suspense genre, so this list is probably different than those more familiar with these genres. (I still have yet to read anything by Stephen King or Agatha Christie.)

1. The Shadow of The Wind (Ruiz Zafon): From the dark setting to the suspenseful plot - this is my favorite literary thriller. People either love it or hate it. I loved it.

2. Turn of the Screw (James): Scary in the typical sense; ghosts, a creepy house and a crazy governess.

3. Her Fearful Symmetry (Niffenegger): I have a serious love for Audrey Niffenegger novels, and this one didn't disappoint. It is perfectly ominous and captivating all at once. The setting is also perfect - Highgate Cemetary in London, where Niffenegger once was a tour guide.

4. The Moonstone (Collins) - Not quite the "scariest" book per se, but my all-time favorite Victorian sensation novel.

5. A Child Called It (Pelzer) - An incredibly heartbreaking account of a child who is continuously and seriously abused by his alcoholic mother. Quite scary in the sense that it is non-fiction.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Rowling) - If I had to pick the scariest novel of the series, it has to be the last. I can't wait for the movie!

7. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Stevenson) - One of my favorite creepy classics. Stevenson knows how to build suspense!

8. Orxy and Crake (Atwood): I could also add The Handmaid's Tale, as both are disturbing dystopias that don't seem all that far fetched.

9. Blindness (Saramago): While I didn't love this book as a whole, the premise and the execution of the story line creeped me out.

10. Glamorama (Easton Ellis): My introduction to Ellis. I'll read American Psycho one day, but I'm waiting for the sting of Glamorama to wear off; very disturbing and scary all at once.

24 comments:

  1. Nice list and it gives me lots to add to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a couple books in common, though I put The Handmaid's Tale on my list instead of Oryx and Crake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good list. I also loved Shadow of the Wind. I'm reading Angels' Game now. Sorry to say I don't agree with you on Hear Fearful Symmetry though. The Handmaid's Tale was seriously spooky- too likely to happen for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red, Yay!

    Loni, I feel like both are fitting. You've got good taste!

    MJ, The Angel's Game is really good too. I'll look for your review. No worries on not agreeing with Her Fearful Symmetry - it's not for everyone! I really loved it though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh sooo sorry Brenna!! I fixed it and put major spoiler warnings up....a bit too late though :( Again, sorry!

    I have never heard of Glamorama before, sounds freaky! I'll have to look for it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Straylights, It's ok! Like I said, my fault for putting off reading it for so long! But yes if you are interested in Elis I really liked Glamorama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben, I've never read him! I am seriously out of touch with the horror genres. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard American Psycho is crazy scary, so I won't touch it. I haven't touched any of his others either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I've read all but 5 and 10 and your choices are all wonderfully scary. I'm reading The Haunting of Hill House right now and that's another creepy one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the classic gothic novels as well...I haven't read Her Fearful Symmetry nor The Shadow of the Wind so I'm adding those to my TBR list :)

    I have a pretty difficult time with books like A Child Called It. I have never experienced anything like the subject matter but I just cannot fathom what is wrong with people who abuse children. I know that sounds like a very naive statement...but I just can't. It took me years to read The Lovely Bones and I sobbed all the way through it. I refuse to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog, Brenna! And how could I forget the Shadow of the Wind?! It's my all time favorite book. But Her Fearful Symmetry is on my list, too. Great list, yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah, There is a big part of me that doesn't blame you.

    Avid Reader, It sounds like we have the same reading tastes! I love it.

    Peppermint Ph.D, Those are two great novels for your TBR. Also, I can completely understand your sentiment regarding child abuse. I don't think it's naive at all. It's a very hard subject to read about and it most certainly isn't for everybody.

    Sabrina, THanks! And good to know you love Shadow of the Wind just as much as me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good list. The Shadow of The Wind is one I plan to read soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blindness is the scariest book I've ever read. It isn't the typical scary book, but the way in which a disease spreads quickly to break down society is scary just for the thought things could happen in that way. Monsters don't have the same effect on me as i can always tell myself they don't exist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "A Child Called It" was VERY disturbing...and the sequel that he had a hard time recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought both Handmaid and Oryx were equally disturbing. I'm like you; I don't read much horror.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bibliophile, Good you should read it!

    farmlane, You are totally right, I"m the same way. Situations like that really get me thinking and worrying, more so than monsters :)

    smillincoffee, Agreed. very disturbing and very eye-opening.

    readerbuzz, They really were! But also so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree with Oryx & Crake and Blindness. So believable in their unbelievable-ness. If that makes any sense at all...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am ready to read Wilkie Collins! I love all the buzz about this man!

    And I haven't read Oryx & Crake but I have read The Handmaid's Tale *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! I found Oryx & Crake really disturbing. I picked up American Psycho in a bookstore once, thumbed through it and was so creeped out I won't ever look at it again. No thanks. The Shadow of the Wind is on my bookshelf, maybe it's time I got to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Turn of the Screw totally freaked me out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have added some of these books to my TBR list. For me, the scariest Harry Potter was The Chamber of Secrets. The very thought of that Basilisk moving inside those walls and waiting to kill people still sends shivers up and down my spine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Deathly Hallows definitely had the creepiest chapter in the whole series (Bathilda's Secret).

    ReplyDelete