10.15.2010

Stories Were Alive...

Reading Now: The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
Before she came ill, David's mother would often tell him that stories were alive. They weren't alive in the way that people were alive, or even dogs and cats... Stories were different: they came alive in the telling. Without a human voice to read them out loud, or a pair of wide eyes following them by flashlight beneath the blanket, they had no real existence in our world. They were like seeds in the beak of  a bird, waiting to fall to earth, or the notes of a song laid out on a sheet, yearning for an instrument to bring their music to being. They lay dormant, hoping for the chance to emerge.
This is one of the funnest books I have read all year. It is well written and fastastically whimsical. Review upon completion! Have a great weekend. 

8 comments:

  1. I am really glad your enjoying it, I loved it esp the bit with the seven dwarfs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book, the main reason being exactly all the things it has to say about storytelling - so much so I borrowed a quote from it for my about me page :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good one! I love the gnomes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this book! I've been wanting to re-read it, but I can't find my copy... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, That part is fantastic! I was laughing out loud.

    Nymeth, I agree - it really captures the fun of reading.

    She, Me too!

    Zara, I hate when that happens :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to read this one, but I'm on a huge wait list. It sounds like one that I would adore.

    By the way, if you'd like to participate, I've tagged you. Check it out here...

    http://avidreader25.blogspot.com/2010/10/tagged-one-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there! Just popping by to say that I love your blog, and that I've given it an award!

    Take a peek, and thanks for blogging:
    http://subtlemelodrama.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-say-shotgun-you-say-wedding.html

    Bethany x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a wonderful book! I don't know if it is available in my part of the world but I will surely be on the lookout for it! Waiting for your review :)

    ReplyDelete